Friday, February 1, 2008

Player spotlight : The future is bright in Atlanta


As the Atlanta Knights build for the future there is no doubt they are counting on RJ Sheffield to help lead the way. This his rookie season currently has RJ batting .291 with 16 HR's, 71 RBI, and 13 stolen bases. We recently had the chance to speak with RJ about his experience so far.

"RJ, what has been this biggest adjustment for you this season?" "Preparing yourself day in and day out to face ML pitching. All the pitchers up here are tough and they all have good stuff."

"Did you expect to be with the big league club this season?" "I always set high expectations myself and I just went into spring training with the mindset that I was going to do my best to make the big league squad. In the end I don't make that call. But I am very happy to be here."

"Obviously this team is in a rebuilding stage. What do you think the future is like for this team?" "I think the future is very bright. The new ownership has already taken some steps to make this franchise competitive. Everyone really liked the move from Jacksonville to Atlanta. Atlanta is a really cool city and they love baseball here. We're growing as players and learning how to win. I like the direction we are heading."

"We hear you are close in the All-Star voting. What would it mean to you to make the All-Star team as a rookie?" "That would be amazing! To be called an All-Star and to play in that game would be a true honor."

"What are your expectations for the rest of the season?" "As a team we want to get to .500. That would really give us some momentum for next season. Personally, I'm just taking it one game at a time and doing my best to help the team win."

We have no doubt with young players like RJ Sheffield, Phil Carson, Fritz Lidge, and Eric Flier already contributing at the ML level that good things are right around the corner for the Knights.